Friday, August 16, 2013

My vison for school (Part 1) #SAVMP

With only four days on the job, I realize that campus leaders have more to accomplish than is humanly possible, but must do it anyway.  That reality is both overwhelming and exciting at the same time.  It reminds me that, as a leader, one of my roles is to tap into as well as help develop the leadership skills and abilities of those on my campus.  In this way, more is accomplished, the burden is shared, and everyone is able to have input into the success of the school. 

Before I can truly begin to say where I see my campus going in the future, I have to step back and take a hard look at where we are now.  At the moment, most of my days have been spent trying to prepare for the return of teachers while ensuring that general procedures and policies are in place to facilitate smooth operation of the school.  One of my major areas of reflection for the next few weeks will be the campus vision.  Where do we aim to be in the next year? five years? Ten years? This is a question that needs to be reflected on by all staff as we work to develop a cohesive vision for the school. In general, I know that the relationship between teachers and administrators must become more collaborative.  There has to be a "we" mentality instead of "us" and "them."  There must be an overall understanding that we are all here for children and every decision we make, whether individually or collectively, must be in their best interest, not our own.  If we ever lose sight of that reality, we will have failed in our calling. I am reminded of a quote from E. Don Brown, "If it is good for adults, it is probably not good for kids."

More to come on vision as the year begins and I can stop long enough to truly reflect on this most important matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment