Saturday, August 26, 2017

On being a (transplanted) Primary School Educator

I have a confession to make.  For most of my life, I was scared of working with Primary School kids.  There, it’s out in the open.  I could probably form a self-help group of people like me.  “Hello!  My name is Breck and I’m a Primary Scaredy-Cat.”  As a middle school teacher, I had the utmost respect for Primary School teachers.  “How can you spend all day long in the same room with the same kids?,” I would ask myself.  Anyone who could was almost saintlike in my eyes.


Now that I work at a Primary school, my views have changed.  Not about teachers.  I still think anyone who is effective with Kindergarteners and 1st Graders is a saint.  My views about the kids have changed. I’ve grown to love this age level and the wonder that each one brings with them each day.  I now see Primary School as the amazing place that it is.  As I’ve reflected, I made a list of some of the great things about being a Primary School educator (something I never thought I’d be).  Below are my thoughts:  


  • You get to start kids off on the right foot, without all the excess baggage they may gather as they grow older.
  • Primary kids are still moldable.  They do listen and take to heart what adults teach them (even when it appears they are not).
  • You often get to work with young parents and help them become better.
  • The kids still hug you and are excited to see you.
  • You can follow these kids a lot longer before they graduate and see what they become year after year.
  • Primary kids are often a blank slate.  You have an opportunity to write so much into their lives.
  • The kids still get excited when they see you in the community.  I love trips to Wal-Mart just for the kids I’ll know I’ll see there.
  • Primary kids are forgiving.  Even when you make mistakes, they still love you and stand by you.

What else would you add to this list?  I’d love to hear your feedback.

2 comments:

  1. What do I love about working in a primary school?
    -The kids remind you what is important in life.


    •Someone burp or fart? Giggle ferociously with them
    •Someone hurt you? Say "it's okay, I forgive you" and move on
    •Don't know the answer to something? Start talking about a pet that died and everyone forgets about the question.
    •Appreciate something someone did for you? Tell them they're the BEST person/teacher/Librarian/custodian/Prinicpal EVER
    •Always make saying Goodbye at the end of the day the most IMPORTANT conversation. Because clearly you're rushing to get to the bus and it's very important to talk about the color of the socks you will wear Monday morning :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Roxanne. I always love your unique insights.

      Delete