Monday, February 19, 2018

Political involvement

I've never been very politically active.  For whatever reason, politics were not a priority.  Now that I'm older, I see the mistake in that.  Politicians make laws.  They determine how are taxes are used. They decide the direction of our cities, our state, and our country.  By not being politically active outside of voting, I've let others decide my fate and the fate of my state and nation.

This year, all of that changed. My eyes have been opened and I see the potential harm that can come from allowing the wrong people to be in office.  Politicians (I wish I could say statesmen, but they aren't) are elected to serve the people.  All the people. Sadly, many choose to serve their base and leave the rest to fall.  I've let that happen.  I've not let my voice be heard.  By not speaking out and talking to our leaders, I've allowed others (lobbyists, special interest groups, campaign contributors) to get the ears of our leaders and take us places we don't need to be.  It is time to change that.

My voice may be small and quiet, but it is a voice.  When I join with others who have the same voice, we can bring about change.  That is what we are trying to do right now with public education in Texas.  The first hurdle is the Republican Primaries.  If we win this race, change will be much easier to put in place.   If not, we will be running uphill.  But we will keep running.  The future of Texas is on the line and I will not give up.  Not now. Not ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment