Wednesday, January 2, 2019

A New Commitment

It's a new year.  2019.  One of my goals this year is to start back blogging by writing at least 250 words every day and posting at least twice a week.  I did this challenge once before and it was beneficial to my focus as an educator.  I'm still not sure what pulled me off, but for the last year  or more, I've written very little.  During that time, I've noticed some changes in my own personal and professional life.  Here a few:

1) Lack of focus:  I've noticed that I seem to be less focused this year.  I attribute much of this to a lack of reflection on my part.  This has led to a reduction in my ability to see what may be right in front of me. My goal in writing each day is to help me reflect on my practice and really hone in on areas that need improvement and areas for my own personal growth.

2)  Lack of Motivation:  There is a power in accomplishing something tangible each day that helps with motivation.  However, as an educator, much of what we do doesn't bring immediate results.  Learning and behavioral change are both growth processes.  They don't take place overnight.  We must constantly review our data in order to see this growth occur.  So, while we are doing something tangible each day, we can't really see it unless we look at the results over time.  Writing, however, is different.  The words hit the page immediately and are easily measured.  I can count 250 words easily (or better yet, I can let the computer do it for me).  There it is, I've done something today and have a reason to go on tomorrow.

3)  Lack of Creativity: I've never been an extremely creative person to begin with.  Most of my ideas are stolen from others with credit given.  Isn't this true for many educators?  However, when I write I am creating something original, something unique to me.  I am putting out original ideas or at least my own take on the ideas of others.  In doing so, I open the doors for this creativity to spill out into other areas of my life.

4)  Lack of Reading:  I've noticed that since I stopped writing, I've also stopped reading as much.  I still read a few books a month, but I find that I don't apply my reading as I once did.  Instead, I let it sit and simmer and don't do anything with it.  When I write, it helps place what I'm learning in a usable context and gives me motivation to keep reading so I can keep learning.  I also don't lose what I'm learning because I can go back and read it again.  This year, my goal is to read 40 books.  I've already got three almost completed for a very strong start.

As I restart this writing journey, I have to make a couple of commitments to myself.

1)  Plan a time each day for writing - Usually, immediately after I have finished my work or right before bed work best for me.  Both of these times are quiet and I have time to reflect.

2)  Don't go to bed without writing - Simply as that.  If I haven't written 250 words, my head doesn't hit the pillow.  Strangely enough, I usually sleep better after I've written.


No comments:

Post a Comment