Thursday, March 2, 2017

The Question - Reflections on The Innovator's Mindset

Over the past week, I've been reading The Innovator's Mindset by George Couros.  Throughout the first part of the book, he repeats this question, "Would I want to be a learner in my own classroom?"  For administration, it is revised to say, "Would I want to be a teacher in my school community?"  These questions are not designed to be condemning, but to provoke reflection on what is best for those we serve.  Based of of this, here are two questions that I am reflecting on and asking staff to reflect on as well:  As a teacher, do I meet my student's needs, both academic and social-emotional, like I would want my own needs to be met?  As an instructional leader, am I doing everything I can to help my staff grow and develop both as educators and as individuals?

When I seriously examine everything I do in the classroom or school and ask myself, "Is this what is best for students and teachers?" I realize that there are many things that could be done better and more effectively and help create a positive culture of learning.  Things like learning structures, use of technology, professional development, support for new teachers, instructional strategies and materials, communication, student discipline, and classroom management all need to come under the thoughtful eye of reflection.

Only when I begin to truly reflect on my practice will I be able to make the changes that will lead to better teaching, learning, and leading.  Otherwise, I risk just following the status quo and never really growing.  And, to me, status quo is simply not acceptable.

No comments:

Post a Comment