Monday, July 15, 2019

In process Part 1

Please note:  This was written in early June 2019, but I waited to publish.

Last Friday, I started interviewing for a principal in my current district.  The position I applied for is at a 4-6 campus with about 800 students.  It is also the campus where I started my admin career as an Assistant Principal.  For the past several months, I have had a gut feeling that this will be my last year at my current campus.  I wasn't really sure why, but I couldn't shake the feeling.

Interestingly though, the day after I interviewed for the 4-6 campus, I was also invited to interview for the Principal position at my current school.  The position won't open for another year, but the district wanted to start the process early.  Build a candidate pool, maybe.   During that interview, I couldn't help but feel a sense of loss if I wasn't the Principal here.  At the same time, I think they need someone with more of a background in literacy.  Everything I know I've learned in the last four years.  I've never taught someone to read in my life (except my son.  I did have a hand in his learning using old basal readers). 

Anyhow, this week, I've been waiting for a response to either position.  Today, I got one.  I was asked to come back in and interview again for the 4-6 position.  Talk about stressful.  But it is nice to know that the district and hiring committee from that campus think enough of me to ask me back.  

At this point, "imposter syndrome" is setting in.  I'm thinking of all the reasons why I would not be the best choice for this position.  Strangely, though, everyone who knows I am seeking the position is sure I am not only qualified, but ready.  I have to trust they are right.  

Moving into a new position that I've never held would be a difficult transition.  Still, I know deep down I am capable. I just have to convince myself of that.  I wonder if others who go through this process feel the same way.  Maybe "imposter syndrome" is the best indicator that I'm ready.  I certainly wouldn't have applied if I didn't think I was.  

As soon as I get a response, I will write an update.  It could be turning out to be a very busy summer.  

No comments:

Post a Comment