Monday, July 15, 2019

In Process Part 2

Please note:  This was written in June 2019, but published in July of the same year.

Two days ago, I started writing about my progress in finding a Principal position at our district 4-6 campus.  I had interviewed twice for the same position and felt like both they went well.  In fact, I heard through the grapevine that my interview was excellent.  That made me feel even more confident.

Yesterday evening, I received a call to come to Central Office this morning at 7:30 am.  All night long, my mind kept going back to this thought:  "My life is about to drastically change tomorrow." Before I left the house, I completed a list of questions and requests for when I got the job such as, Would the district allow me to attend a New Principal Academy in July and when would I be able to meet with the outgoing principal?  I wanted to be as prepared as possible.  I sat down in the room with the Superintendent over Personnel and the Financial Director.  After greetings and a little small talk, the next words out of the Superintendent's mouth were, "You weren't chosen for the Principal's position."  Strangely, I felt a sense of relief rather than loss.  It felt as though I wasn't supposed to get the position.  Then she said, "But we have something else we would like you to apply for."  They then began to tell me about a position they had been working on for the last several months and provided an overview of the expectations.  While I won't go into details, I can say it would allow me to be over a large department that affects probably two-thirds of the children in the district.  They wanted me to apply for it.  After asking a number of questions, I left the meeting with a sense of both excitement and fear.  Excitement that district leaders thought enough of my skills to ask me to look into the position and fear because it is nothing that I ever done before (although it requires many of the skills I have developed in my current position.)  I don't have any idea if I will get it, but I was honored to even be asked to consider applying.

I spent much of the remainder of the day praying.  I called mentors and asked their thoughts.  I made lists of pros and cons.  And I reflected over the last several months as I've begun to feel it was time to move from my current position.  I remembered that, of all the positions I have had in education, only two have come from a formal interview.  The rest were because people knew me and offered the opportunity.  Also, I remembered thinking recently that it would be amazing if someone did the same thing again, particularly if I wasn't expecting it.  That is exactly what happened.

At this point, I am trusting that this the direction the God is leading me and that He has laid out the steps.  I'll do the application tomorrow and keep you posted.


No comments:

Post a Comment