Monday, July 15, 2019

In Process Part 4 - New Position

As of July 24, 2019 I will officially be the new Director of Transportation for my school district.  This was not a position that I sought out, but one I do feel that I am supposed to be in.  While I won't be in the role by contract until the date above, I started several weeks back.  As I moved into the position, the first thing I knew I had to do was get to know the drivers.  I did this by riding bus routes twice a day for two weeks.  Since I am learning to drive a bus myself, I asked the drivers to tell me what they were doing in the different stages of the drive.  I not only learned their personalities, but I also learned a lot about driving a bus.

As the new director, I've been tasked with helping to reduce the number of discipline issues on the buses along with parent complaints as well as help build morale among the drivers.  Fortunately, I have a supervisor working for me who has been on the job for years and can help keep things running while I focus on these priorities and learn the various aspects of the transportation program.  I've also joined the state transportation organization and been to their conference and training.  It was quickly apparent that transportation people are a strong group who are willing to help a newbie like me.

As I transition into this position, I know it will be challenging.  It already is.  But, I know I'm where I need to be and will continue to make a difference in the lives of kids, albeit in a different way.

No comments:

Post a Comment