Thursday, July 18, 2013

After 2000 miles and 7 interviews

As the title says, I've traveled over 2000 miles this summer and been through 7 interviews.  Each one was a growth process for me and helped to clarify my leadership style as well as my commitment to this profession and being a leader in it.  Now, after all that, I've been offered a position within 10 miles of my front door in my own school district.  Would I trade the time I spent filling out applications, updating my résumé, rewriting my cover letters, traveling, and spending time in the hot seat during interviews?  Not in a million years.  

I related to my wife recently that for most of my previous interviews (for teaching positions) the process has been very straightforward.  In most cases, the interview was a formality as my qualifications and experience were more than what was expected for the position.  This was different.  Districts have to know that their leaders are going to be able to do the job and bring the school forward from where it is now.  I don't have the track record, just the qualifications. Therefore, the interview process has been both challenging and refreshing.  I've learned something new at each interview and, through reflection, been able to identify areas of weakness that I need to improve in.  In fact, I think it would be helpful to have an interview every week just to stay focused on improvement.  I can do that through reflective questioning on a weekly basis and use my responses as a tool for improvement. 

Now that I am moving into this new position, the time for working and showing what I am made of is here.  Yes, I still need lots of work.  That will never change.  But, each day, I must show consistent growth until I become the  very best I can be at this position and am able to move up.  Constant improvement is the goal.  I am up to the challenge.

2 comments:

  1. I remember the moment I received the phone call that I had been hired as Head of Junior School - it was almost a year ago today. Like you, I had been through many interviews and had really honed my interview 'craft' (if that is possible). The hardest part was convincing the interviewers that, without formal experience, I was qualified AND I was their best choice :).

    Anyway, I did the happy dance - much like you see in shows like Grey's Anatomy when the doctors have a 'win'.

    Congrats on your new position. I look forward to learning with you through #SAVMP

    Janet | expateducator.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Janet. For some reason, I didn't catch the comment sooner. OOPS. I also look forward to learning with you and the others in #SAVMP. The voice of experience is always refreshing and I want to learn from as many leaders as I can, both to gain knowledge and avoid potential pitfalls.

    BTW, the on the job training so far has been invaluable. I am learning from a strong leader who is letting me do my job while trying new strategies and learning from my mistakes. It is better than I could have imagined.

    ReplyDelete