Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Interviews-from the other side

All summer long, I've been interviewing for administrative positions.  Now that I have accepted a position, I get to be on the other side of the table.  Yesterday, I participated in two interviews for teaching positions at my new campus.  It was different being the interviewer.  For one thing, the pressure was off (in a way).  It was more relaxing simply asking and listening.  However, at the same time, there was the pressure to ensure that the right person was hired.  I also noticed that, inside, I was rooting for the person to do well.  During my time in the "hot seat," I got that same impression from my interviewers.  Yesterday, I hope that the candidates could tell that I wanted them to succeed.  

Looking at candidates from an administrative perspective allows for a different viewpoint.  Just as those who interviewed me had to predict my future success for their district, I had to do the same thing.  One of my mantras is that if the best are hired up front, it will mean much less work on my part in the future and much less frustration for the recruit.  In addition, it's important to determine if the candidate is "highly qualified" based on NCLB requirements.  If not, they will have to jump through a few hoops to get that qualification, which, in turn means more work ensuring that this occurs.  

I am realizing that there is an art and a science to the interview. Picking the best candidates based on just a few points (interview, paperwork, references, portfolio) is not a simple process. I also realize that the results of the interview could be either extraordinary or detrimental to the school.  This is not a task to be taken lightly.  

Ultimately, outside of ability, which is important, I am looking for someone who cares deeply about kids and is determined to do whatever is necessary to ensure their success.  If this quality is present, then many other deficiencies can be overcome.  Without it, there is little hope for success. 

No comments:

Post a Comment