Tuesday, January 13, 2015

New Years Resolutions Revisited

2015 is in full swing. We're already three weeks in.  If you are like me, you made New Year's resolutions with grand plans for the upcoming twelve months.  And, if you are like me, you've haven't been as successful as you wanted in the last three weeks.  Now, it's time to revisit and review these resolutions and hopefully see ways to get back on track if necessary.  I made eight resolutions for 2015, some of which were carry-overs from the previous year.  Here's how I'm doing so far:

1)  Lose 15 pounds by June 30, 2015.  Accomplish this through eating smaller portions of healthier food and exercising at least 30 minutes a day, three times a week. - In truth, this resolution is less about weight and more about being healthy. While I will turn 50 this year and am tired of carrying around extra weight, my ultimate goal is to live a long, enjoyable life.  So far, I'm doing okay on the eating less part.  In fact, I've started cutting out one meal a day several days a week and really haven't missed it.  I still need to increase my exercise.  This will simply be a matter of discipline. 

2) Write (Journal/Reflect/Research) a minimum of 15 minutes a day including reflecting on my day and reading and reflecting on articles, blogs, etc.  - Not doing too well on this one.  My journal is not nearly as full as it should be. Needs Work.

3)  Write one blog post weekly- The reason I'm writing tonight is to start fulfilling this one.  This is my first blog post of 2015.  In order to get a jump start, I intend to write one 150-200 word post every day for at least the next seven days.  The problem I've run into is, in my own mind, I'm not sure I have anything of importance to say.  Hopefully, by simply writing each day, I'll dispel that negative thought.

4)  Deeply study three books of the Bible using the inductive study method.  - I went through the book of Proverbs and James last year and it was a life-changing experience.  James took about a month and Proverbs close to three months.  I barely skimmed the surface during that time. This year, I'm starting with Luke.  Not sure what the next book will be.

5)  Read at least one book every two weeks that will help me grow personally or professionally. - I've started this year reading Leaders Eat Last by Simon Sinek.  This should be finished within a week.  As I keep this up, I'll have read at least 26 positive books by the end of the year.  Good Start.  

6)  Find a mentor  - This has been on my list every year.  Still hasn't happened.  Needs Work.

7)  Family Prayer Time at least 3 times a week - I can make every excuse in the book for why this isn't happening regularly, but none of them are worth their salt.  If I'm going to be the spiritual leader of my family, this is a must.  Not There Yet.

8) Get out of debt. - This has been on my annual list for quite some time.  Fortunately, I've made substantial progress.  We live on a budget and are paying extra on the lowest debts we have.  Thankfully, I got rid of all credit card debt in 2014 which was a major win.  Now, to keep plugging away month by month until I'm done.   In Progress.

Now, it's back to work. I need to do something on each one of these every day and revisit them weekly to check my progress.  At the beginning of 2016, I want to say that 2015 was a year of tremendous growth (in everything but weight) and a life-changer for me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment