Saturday, January 17, 2015

Happy socks (or Why so serious?)

This Christmas, my wife gave me three pairs of Happy Socks.  If you are not familiar with Happy Socks (I wasn't), they are dress socks with a unique and creative twist. Below are some examples.

At first, I was hesitant to wear them, but after a few days warmed to the idea.  I mean, who would see them anyway?  They're socks. 

The first day I wore them, I had on a neatly pressed pair of slacks, laundered shirt, tie, and newly shined shoes. Typical professional dress for a school administrator.  Then, as I sat in a meeting, I crossed my legs and saw my Happy Socks. As I thought about how silly they looked, it hit me.  

I tend to take myself way too seriously.  And, when I do that, it saps my joy. 

Please understand.  I take my position as a school administrator very seriously.  My decisions and actions affect students, teachers, staff, parents, and the community along with the overall school culture.   I don't take that lightly.  

But, I can take myself lightly.  I can laugh at myself and laugh with others.  I can make mistakes and not be so hard on myself when I do.  I can look foolish if it will help a child learn.  I can be positive and upbeat no matter what situation I face.  I can make others feel more important than myself.  I don't have to take myself so seriously.

Now, I try to wear my Happy Socks as often as I can.  They serve as a reminder that, although I need to take what I do very seriously, I don't always need to take myself that way.





No comments:

Post a Comment