Thursday, January 22, 2015

Don't ever let them down

It was raining and cold as I approached the store entrance.  "Excuse me, sir," said a voice from the shadows.  As I looked up, I saw a young man in his early 20's approaching.  He was tall with red hair and a scruffy red beard.  While his clothes were disheveled and hands soiled, he had a kind look in his eyes that was vaguely familiar.  "I need something to eat. Can you help me?"  I make it a habit to never give money, but I'll gladly buy food, gas, or other necessities if I'm able.  "What do you need?" I asked.  "Something I can eat that's hot and not in a can.  I'm really hungry," he replied.  I motioned for him to follow me and as we walked towards the deli area, he looked closely at me and said, "I know you, don't I?"  "What's your name?" I inquired.  "John."  My mind raced back several years as I remembered how I knew him.  "I was your teacher, John."  "Mr. Quarles!  7th Grade Science. I really enjoyed being in your class.  You made learning fun." He paused. "I always looked up to you."

As we stood at the deli, I told him to get what he needed and I'd pay for it. John looked over the various foods and began to tell me about his life since junior high.  "I was in trouble quite a bit in school, but things got really bad when my Mom died.  I just went crazy and got strung out.  I didn't want to live anymore.  I'm smart, but I didn't act that way.  I wasted a big part of my life so far." I agreed with him that he was intelligent.  I remembered that about him.  He was always ready to question and participate.  Not a model student, but fun to to have in class. 

Suddenly, he looked right at me and his words took my breath away.  "I wish someone like you would have been there for me.  I needed a man in my life to show me how to live. I wish you could have helped me."  I thought to myself, "John, I didn't know.  I was so busy trying to do my job that I didn't take the time to really get to know you.  I wish now I would have."  

We talked for a while longer about the struggles he had after his mother passed away, how he had battled mental illness, been in trouble with the law, couldn't find a steady job, and was sleeping on friend's couches.  He told me how he was trying hard to make it and that he wasn't going to give up.  

"What can I for you, John?"   His response nearly brought me to tears.  "Mr. Quarles, you can do one thing for me."  "What is that?"I asked.  "Be there for your students. They look up to you, so don't ever let them down.  I don't want anybody to end up the way I did."  "I'll take that to heart, John," I replied.  Shortly after, we went our separate ways. 

Was meeting up with John a divine appointment?  Probably so.  I only know that the encounter was not what I was expecting nor prepared for.  But, I must do what I said and take his words to heart.  As a teacher, I missed a lot of opportunities to positively impact the lives of students. I was so focused on teaching the curriculum that I failed to really get to know my students.  Thankfully, we get second chances.  As an administrator, I have opportunity every day to reach into the lives of struggling kids and help them as they navigate their way through life. We all need someone to guide us.  John reminded me tonight that I can be that person.  Now, I don't want to let him down again.  



No comments:

Post a Comment