Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Resume: A tool for growth

Recently, I began a task I've been putting off for some time:  updating my resume.  No, I'm not looking for a new job.  I just want to see how far I've come since my last update.  Plus, you never know when it might come in handy, especially if a position opens up in my school district.  At this point, I am making lists of responsibilities, accomplishments, training, certifications, and so on that have changed since I put together my current resume.  Since that time, I've gained almost two years of administration experience, worked in two different schools, been responsible for several special projects, served as a district coordinator, attended multiple trainings, and, through social media (mainly Twitter) and blogging, become a more connected educator.  Now, the task is to put all of this on paper and LinkedIn, of course.

Fortunately, the most difficult part of the process so far has been determining what leave out.  If this were not a problem, I'd be concerned.  If I could dust off my resume and it was ready to go, it would be time to retire.  I would have stopped growing professionally.

For me, new challenges and learning opportunities are the life-blood of my career.  Without them, stagnation sets in.  Each day provides new opportunities to learn and grow.  It is up to me to take advantages of those opportunities.  

Through the process of updating my resume, I am tracking my professional development as well as determining the areas in which I need more experience.  Once I'm done, I will have a better picture of my current status and can make a game plan for growth.  

As a school leader, it is so important that I grow in my profession and model the growth process for others.  If I want the teachers in my building to be learners who are willing to take risks,  I must be the same.  Updating my resume, when approached with the right mindset, is a tool to facilitate this growth.  



No comments:

Post a Comment