Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Beasts of the Southern Wild #30daysblogging

Last night, I watched the film Beasts of the Southern Wild.  If you are unfamiliar, the plot revolves around a six-year-old girl named Hushpuppy who lives with her father in a group of islands called The Bathtub.  It appears to be somewhere off of the coast of Louisiana. Hushpuppy and her father live a very simple existence in what we might describe as abject poverty.  The film follows the lives of these two characters as they face various trials and triumphs. It is both inspiring and heartbreaking at the same time.

As an educator, watching this film opened my eyes to the fact that I don't always know the background of many of my students.  In the film, neither Hushpuppy nor her friends appear to go to school, although there may be one somewhere in the Bathtub.  However, she is recieving an education on how to survive in her world from her father and the other residents.  She learns skills such as how to catch a catfish with her bare hands, start an oven with a blowtorch, boil and eat a crab, and clean and cook a chicken.

As the film progresses, we are given a glimpse of the depths of Hushpuppy's feelings and the love she has for her father along with the steps she will take to demonstrate this love.  It is a powerful film that leaves a lasting impression.

As I was watching, I was asking myself questions like:

* If Hushpuppy were a student in my school, would I look at her as lacking or appreciate and build on the vivid life lessons she brings?

* How would I view her father if he came to the campus?

* Do I see each person as having value and dignity and what am I doing to demonstrate this? If not, what changes do I need to make?

Hard questions that need some real answers.



Beasts of the Southern Wild is worth the watch and as educators, it is a great film to use to reflect on the difference life circumstances of the children we see each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment