Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Curious George and the power of adult action

I've never read a Curious George book.  This thought struck me recently.  My son and I went to see the movie and watched the TV show on PBS, but I never read the books. They just weren't for me, I would say.  After reflecting, I realized the probable reason.

Let's take a trip back to 1971.  An excited 1st grader walks with his class into his first book fair with money burning a hole in his pocket.  The book fair was held in the music room because the library wasn't big enough.  As this little boy enters, his eyes move around the room, filled with stacks of books larger than he's ever seen.  There are books everywhere.  As an beginning reader, it is like a candy store of words, waiting to be tasted.  Glancing to the right, he sees a table with several books that he recognizes from his aunt's house. Curious George. He has heard his aunt talk about the silly monkey during his visits. The little boy quickly makes a bee line to the table.  As he is quietly thumbing through the first one, marveling at the pictures of the man in yellow and the little monkey, a gruff adult voice comes from behind.  "Those aren't for you," the woman said.  "You need to get a book from over here."  The little boy dutifully walks to where he is directed and with no enthusiasm, picks out a book from "his" table.  He doesn't remember the name of the book he got that day, but he does remember that Curious George wasn't "for him."  At least that was the excuse he used when given the opportunity to read the H.A. and Margret Rey classics.

I can still remember that scene clearly.  The woman who directed me to the other table and told me those books weren't for me was probably just a volunteer doing what she was told.  But for the next 45 years, I did not read a Curious George book.

Adults have great power in the lives of children.  As an educator, I am often reminded of the need to build them up and encourage them, not take the wind out of their sails.  They come to school each day, eager to learn and grow.  They want to be challenged and to make choices on their own, As the adults in their lives, we are charged with guiding them and helping them to grow in a loving, nurturing environment where they can safely take chances.  In order to do this, we have to carefully monitor our own words and actions, always aware of the potential long term consequences.

Did this Curious George incidence turn me into a non-reader?  No. I usually read 20+ books a year.  Did it have dire effects on my psyche? I hope not.  But it was powerful enough for me to remember the details years later and to miss the chance to enjoy some of the world's most famous children's literature.

Now, I'm heading to the library because it's never too late to start.




No comments:

Post a Comment