Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Time to Read

"What books are you reading right now?"  When I ask this question, I normally get one of two responses.  Active readers will tell me about the latest book they are engrossed in and often share the lessons they are learning.  Inactive readers will look at me with a blank stare.  When I ask why they aren't reading regularly, the most common response is "I don't have time."  In this post, I hope to address that excuse with a well-worn solution that still bears repeating.

The first question that must be addressed is, "If reading is so important, how can someone on a busy schedule make time to do it?" One of the easiest ways I've found is to set either a length of time to read or a minimum number of pages.  For example, if a person reads 10 minutes a day every day, they will have read 3,640 minutes in a year. That's the equivalent of 60 hours.  If you read as little as 25 pages an hour, that's 1500 pages or five 300 page books in a year.  Not bad for someone who hasn't read in a while.  

If a person instead chooses to read just 10 pages a day in a good book, that's 3650 pages in a year, or twelve 300 page books.  Imagine the effect of reading twelve great books in a year, especially if you put what you've learned into practice.

Where does the time come from?  The main way I've found to create time for reading is to change my TV habits.  I hate to say it, but on demand services like Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Hulu can be reading killers.  Especially if you start binge watching programs.  So, what about taking 10 minutes of TV time and turning that into reading time?  You could read during the halftime show. Better yet, how about 30 minutes, the length of a typical sitcom?  Do that every night and you'll gain 182 hours of reading time each year.

Another time I've found to read is in the restroom.  It may not sound glorious, but it allows a few minutes each day.  Just don't take too long or people may start banging on the door. If you ride public transportation, use that time for reading.  What about Facebook time?  Could you spare 10 to 30 minutes each day off of social media to read a good book?

Setting up a particular time of day to read is also helpful. For example, I like to read right before I go to bed. My house is quiet and I can focus on my book.  Others wake up early to read or read during lunch.

Even the busiest people can find down time in their day that can be used for reading.  It may mean altering schedules or giving up some habit, but the benefit is worth the sacrifice.



No comments:

Post a Comment